Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Week #2 Blog

Digital Images are made up of tiny squares that are called pixels, and each pixel in the image has a specific location, size, and a very specific color value. Images that are viewed on a computer monitor such as ones that are designed for email and the web should be in a resolution of 72ppi. You are able to re-size your image and change the resolution at the same time. When uploading pictures onto a web page you need to keep in mind the color is in contrast. The text should always have a good contrast between the type of color and the background color. The pictures need to match and flow with the web page color contrast; which you can change when uploading the picture. This feature I have never known existed. I have PictureProject and I have a tool bar that I downloaded when playing around with this program that I am able to change the color contrast of the pictures and resize the pictures.
When you choose to index an image, you can choose the color palette. However, you do not have to have all the 256 colors in the palette. Limiting the colors makes the file size much smaller, which is better for displaying on the web (smaller files appear on the page faster). More pictures then one would think get posted on the web, even ones that you might not be aware of. One might not have a web page created but have at one point in our lives, uploaded, copied, or created a picture onto your personal computer and is now floating somewhere on the web. The most popular is the digital cameras, which capture images at 72" pixels per inch and is multiplied by the number of pixels present on the image sensor.
You want to make sure that you are using browser-safe colors for you page. These colors can be represented by RGB values, percentages of each color, or hexadecimal code. This reminds me of microsoft powerpoint 2007 and your options that you are given in this program to grab the readers attention with the design options to have to grab the readers attention.

An interesting thing I read about in relation to my discussion above is; that I never really understood what it was is the bit depth.A bit is the smallest unit of inforamtion that a computer understands. A bit is one electronic pulse. That pulse can do two things-- it can be an on signal or an off signal. Now when I am searching for a computer I am able to understand what "type" of bit size I would like my monitor to be.

Scanned images allow you to choose your resolution. This pixel size is determined by the resolution of the image and is actually inversely proportional to resolution. A term that is used when talking about scanners is bit depth, also called color depth. This refers to the number of colors that the scanner is capable of reproducing. Each pixel requires 24 bits to create standard true color and virtually all scanners on the market support this. Scanners normally automatically resample a too-large image to be smaller so it will then fit into the program's window size. What you then see if the smaller copy on the screen in different pixels. If scanning for the web, you need to keep in mind that a few viewers still use 800 x 600 pixels, so always make sure you are correctly resizing your pictures before placing on a web page browser.

Interestingly enough I recently just tried using my scanner for the first time, to scan older pictures for me to print at home. I placed the picture in the scanner and it automatically scanned my picture and put it onto my computer for me to edit, however the picture was extremely tiny compared to the size (white space) it should have been. I looked at this for several hours and could not figure out how to make the picture appear smaller so I could print. So I gave up. I went back this evening after reading over the assigned material and figure out to make the pictures appear larger on the screen and have the picture look/print the way I want it to. This class, even though it is only week 2 I think is the most interesting and I hope that it gets way more indepth because I am learning so much about the computer that I never knew about or had the oportunity to learn as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment